Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Emmy post-mortem (ish)

Photobucket

Pictured: the cast of 'Modern Family'



I suppose I should say up front that I did not watch the Emmys. Not because I didn't care about them but because I had other obligations in my real life to attend to (real life always ruins everything, doesn't it?) but of course I caught up on the winners and losers (or should I say LOST-ers!) but anyhow, here are my thoughts, because obviously my opinion is the most important.

I cry foul on the victory of Kyra Sedgwick for Best Drama Actress. She has been nominated 5 times and never won, and all of a sudden this year she wins? After literally just continuing to do the same thing? Here's what I think happened: the vote got so split up amongst the other actresses (probably most between Glenn Close and Julianna Marguiles) that somehow she ended up with majority. It happens. Case and point: Chicago winning Best Picture while being nominated alongside Gangs of New York, Two Towers, The Hours, and The Pianist.

I think a similar fate befell the Best Supporting Actor: Drama category. With both Michael Emerson and Terry O'Quinn in there, along with John Slattery, there's a lot of love for those guys so it was probably hard to determine one as the clear winner. So it ended up being Aaron Paul of Breaking Bad, who I'm sure is amazing, but strikes me as an odd choice considering this was their last chance to honor LOST.

Mad Men won for the third year in a row which was actually a bit surprising to me. While I don't really watch any of the other shows that were nominated (aside from Lost, which I'm glad didn't win since other than the finale and Ab Aeterno season 6 was a complete mess), season 3 of MM just didn't cut it for me as much as seasons 1 and 2. I found the pacing inconsistent and lacking focus. That said, the last three episodes of that season are absolutely amazing. Some of the best of the series.

I'm glad Jon Hamm didn't win Best Actor. Frankly, this season I'm realizing the limits to his performance. I don't know if he's always been like this and I've just ignored it or if suddenly this season he's just more tense, but his physicality is just very awkward and stiff for some reason. Everything feels more strained and not in a good way. I'm fearing he may have peaked at the crying scene in season 3.

And finally, MODERN FAMILY. Yes. A thousand times yes. So happy Glee didn't get it, they need to find their footing more solidly before they can start winning these awards, and I really hope they do. But this year was all about Modern Family. That show is beyond glorious. But in all honesty, here's hoping next year Parks and Recreation will be given a well-deserved nomination.

No comments:

Post a Comment