Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Runaways are here

So I was very excited today when I finally got to see the teaser trailer for the upcoming film “The Runaways” about the iconic 70’s band helmed by Joan Jett and Cherie Currie. My interest in this movie has built up a lot over the last several months, pretty much since I found out they were making it. Really, it was ever since I found out Dakota Fanning, innocent little girl who had us all weeping in I Am Sam, was going to play Cherie Currie, the drug-addled, corset-wearing frontwoman of The Runaways. Little Dakota is all grow’d up I dare say.

Having read the script, this film is really going to challenge the chops of both leading ladies. Kristen Stewart is good at playing the insecure lonely girl who just can’t believe she’s found a great guy, but I’ll be interested to see her play the rebellious, loud, and altogether angry teenage Joan Jett. I remember reading that Jett, who was on set daily, actually made Stewart cry while filming a scene (presumably the one in which Joan has a total shit fit in the recording studio, which we get glimpses of in the trailer) so that’s promising.

Also based on the script, I am certainly curious to see how many Twi-Moms ask for their money back after taking their tweens to see this (thankfully) R-rated film. I can tell you right now, you parents who think Dakota Fanning is a good role model for young girls, stay clear of this film. In fact, I’m going to do you a favor here.

LIST OF CRAZY SHIT DAKOTA FANNING DOES IN THIS MOVIE THAT WILL FOREVER TAINT YOUR IMAGE OF HER

- Cocaine off an airplane bathroom toilet seat

- Wears a light pink corset, fishnets, and hooker boots

- Whilst in the aforementioned number, she gyrates onstage, having perfected her move of swinging the microphone between her legs.

- More drugs

- While stoned, she and Joan Jett make out, a breast is exposed (probably K-Stew because let’s not forget, Dakota is STILL underage) and they presumably engage in some form of intercourse.

- May or may not get raped by Michael Shannon (the script is very foggy in that sense, but as implied by Lita Ford, he did have sex with her, although, that’s Lita Ford. Who hated Cherie.)

That’s all I can think of right now, there’s probably more that I’m forgetting. Personally I think this girl’s got some serious balls, and for that I salute her. She’s clearly sick of her image as a cookie-cutter cutie pie and I think this is probably her “I’m not a kid star, I’m an ACTRESS” big ol’ f-you to the people who are trying to keep her in that image, ie. the people who totally fucked over the release of Hounddog. Basically, Dakota Fanning wants that effing Oscar.

On a sidenote, I was literally terrified (in the most awesome way) this morning when I realized that was Dakota Fanning singing Cherry Bomb and not just a recording. She sounds SO MUCH like Cherie Currie it’s ridic. For comparison, I’ve got the trailer here followed by a video of them performing the song in Japan (which is actually the performance they show in the trailer).




1 comment:

  1. Dakota Fanning, I remember when you were in "Taken."

    I think I suddenly know what it feels like to recognize that you're old. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete