Thursday, July 1, 2010

International trailer released for "Let Me In"



I suppose seeing this trailer has made me realize how kind of pointless this movie is. It looks like it's literally, LITERALLY, nothing more than an English-language version of what will inevitably be the far superior original. I don't like how they're making this look like a straight up horror flick with the cool Muse-esque music and quick cuts. It's supposed to be a disturbing yet oddly heartwarming tale of young love. I don't know, maybe I'm being too pessimistic too early on. And looking at the trailer for the original, it's actually quite similar, although it does indeed play the romance up more than the American trailer.

On the plus side, Kody Smit-McPhee looks perfect for the part and while I still think Chloe Moretz is too girly to play that role, she's a talented young actress and I'm sure will make the most of it. In the book, her character is actually not a girl at all but a castrated male. In the original, they compensated for this by casting a young woman but having her voice dubbed over by a boy (though it's completely unnoticeable, I was shocked when I found that out). I think for the purposes of this remake, they've done away with that whole concept and are just making her a female, which I'm okay with because it probably (and hopefully) means they'll eliminate the really awkwardly abrupt full-frontal shot from the original which revealed what exactly she...had going on down there.

Anyway, I'm rambling now. I hope this trailer is just to get audiences interested and that the movie is a bit more subtle than this makes it seem. The worst case scenario is that it will take probably the most unique piece of work to come out of the recent vampire craze and water it down to appease the Twi-hards. Thankfully, no matter what this ends up being, it doesn't look like it's going to be that, so I guess I'll count my blessings.

Here's the trailer of the original for comparison:

No comments:

Post a Comment