Friday, January 15, 2010

Critics Choice Awards Roundup

Well it has been quite an eventful evening for Hollywood as the 15th Annual Critics Choice Awards make their picks of the years best and brightest. Many people look to the Golden Globes as the big indicator for the Oscars, but in fact the CCAs have had a much better track record, especially in recent years, for predicting the Academy Awards. And that is part of what made some of tonight’s wins so damn exciting.

In terms of the show itself I personally enjoyed Kristen Chenoweth as host. Her opening bit spoofing Inglourious Basterds was great, as was the song that followed. The first award was for acting ensemble, which I actually didn’t realize was an award for them, I thought that was strictly a SAG thing, but whatever. It (not surprisingly) went to the cast of Inglourious Basterds, for whom the ever-lovely Diane Kruger was spokesperson. A great win to start off the show in my opinion.

Then came Supporting Actress and surprise surprise, Mo’Nique was victorious. I really am glad she is winning these awards. Her performance in that movie is too rigorous to be left empty-handed. It was so sweet to see how proud Lee Daniels was too and how much love that whole cast and crew have for each other.

Soon the award for Best Action movie went to Avatar, Best Comedy went to The Hangover, and Best Animated Feature went to Up. Frankly I’m always annoyed when they divide movies up based on genre. It’s a very MTV Movie Awards thing to do, if that makes any sense, it just strikes me as a big cop out. If it’s a great movie, nominate it for best picture, if not, don’t do it the disrespect of rewarding it within a particular label. That’s like saying “ ‘Avatar’ was great!...for an Action movie.” It’s just annoying. If it’s really a good movie, it will transcend the genre, which frankly I think Avatar did but…whatever.

Anyway. Christoph Waltz won Best Supporting Actor much to my delight. It’s really a problem how attractive I find him, even in the movie. I mean, physically, obviously I am not fawning over the Nazi-ness. But he’s just so damn likable. And he’s got kind of a rough-around-the-edges-Daniel-Craig appeal to him that I am a big fan of. His speech was very sweet and humble and adorable.

Adapted Screenplay went to Jason Reitman for Up in the Air, not surprising but kind of meh mainly because I really am not a fan. Original Screenplay went to Quentin Tarantino who made the most backhandedly arrogant speech I’ve ever heard. He dedicated the award to the actors, but then made it about the fact that he never worked with stupid actors because they couldn’t understand his dialogue, and he was grateful to have a group of people who could speak “my poetry.” Ew. And he looks like a goblin.

Then there was this weird “let’s cleverly find a way to breeze through the awards we don’t care about” bit and of that rapid-fire montage the only things I really cared about were Broken Embraces winning Best Foreign Film, Up winning Best Score, and Avatar winning all the technical awards that they just this year added to their repertoire for the sake of giving them to Avatar. Which I am okay with, although there is a part of me that is still at times more impressed with the CGI work in District 9.

And then effing history was made. Samuel L. Jackson stepped out to announce Best Director. When he opened the envelope, even he stopped in hesitation before announcing the music to my ears, “Kathryn Bigelow.” HELL. YES. I know it’s only the first round of Awards season, but it doesn’t even matter. Whatever directing award Bigelow wins from here on out, she will be the first woman to win it. So let’s hope this was just the first step in a long victorious journey. The best was when they showed James Cameron’s miffed but accepting face at the sight of his ex-wife (looking AMAZING for 58!?) strut past him and his current (and 5th) wife. Her speech was good but not TOO good, she's saving up for the Oscars no doubt. And I loved how later in the show Chenoweth like, went out of her way to say basically "Hey, the first female director just won. This is kind of a big deal."

Best Actor went to Jeff Bridges for Crazy Heart. I really want to hang out with that guy, he seems like a really cool person. Then came Best Actress, and all hell broke loose. A TIE! Between Meryl Streep for Julie and Julia and none other than SANRDA BULLOCK for the Blind Side. I was a non-believer, but now that even the critics are saying she is that good, I am going to watch the Blind Side (but on my comp. I still refuse to pay money for it.). Regardless, she does seem like a very genuine person and I respect that. And move over Adam Lambert, there’s a new impromptu-stage-kiss for us to be all abuzz about thanks to Meryl Streep and Sandra Bullock.

And finally, in one of the most faith-reaffirming decisions of the night, Best Picture went to none other than The Hurt Locker. Well done Critics. Well done. See, this is why I stressed on my top 10 lists that they were of my FAVORITE, not what I felt was the best. Yes, Basterds and Avatar were my favorites of the year, in that they bore a replay value for me above the other films, but I definitely believe that as an overall movie, The Hurt Locker was hands down the best film of the year.

1 comment:

  1. I literally yelled "YES!! YESS!!" when Hurt Locker won. So glad they got it, absolutely well-deserved.

    And a huge win for K. Big! The guy who wrote it was like "You won! You won!" when they announced it which was cute. I like how when he was accepting the Best Picture award he was like "I had a speech for best screenplay, but not this..."

    Also, Mo'Nique looked slammin in that dress. Really glad she won.

    And I can't believe Meryl and Sandra tied to win...those seemed to be the two worst movies of the bunch, but Sandra was really humble about it so I won't complain too much.

    ReplyDelete