Sunday, January 17, 2010

Golden Globes Roundup

So tonight was the 67th Annual Golden Globe Awards. And like they have been for the last several years, they were a boozy mess of surprise victories for better or for worse. For some reason people are still considering this as the precursor to the Oscars in terms of predictions, but, last year’s Slumdog victory aside, they have been wildly inconsistent. And I have a feeling this year will find discrepancies as well. Instead of just a little recap like I did for the Critics Choice Awards, I’m going to do this award by award, at least, the important ones.

Best Supporting Actress – Mo’Nique
Not surprising at all. Still giving the same exact speech, I hope she has something new to say at the Oscars.

Best Supporting Actor – Christoph Waltz
Also not surprising. Even less surprising is how much deeper I fall in love with him every time I see him.

Best TV Actor – Musical or Comedy – Alec Baldwin
Again, no surprise. As long as this show is on the air he is going to win this award.

Best TV Actress – Musical or Comedy – Toni Collette
I don’t watch The United States of Tara, but I know she won the Emmy for this so, that’s pretty awesome.

Best TV Actor – Drama – Michael C. Hall
I also don’t watch Dexter, which I know is a mistake on my part, but, I’m actually glad he won this. I really was pulling for Jon Hamm, but, I’m not upset.

Best TV Actress – Drama – Juliana Margulies
I hear good things about The Good Wife so I’m not surprised she won. I’m sad January Jones lost again, but, I can understand them not wanting to reward a woman who can only really play one role.

Best TV Show – Musical or Comedy – GLEE
WHOA. I was shocked that this won. SHOCKED. I really thought it was going to be Modern Family. As much as I love Glee, I really don’t know how to feel about this. It’s still finding its footing in terms of what it’s trying to be and I don’t know that it really deserved to be rewarded so early in its run.

Best TV Show – Drama – Mad Men
Yeah. It couldn’t not be.

Best Screenplay – Jason Reitman & Sheldon Turner for “Up in the Air”
Kind of annoyed. I really wanted it to be Quentin Tarantino, even though he has proven himself to be a colossal egomaniac. I mean, the man pumped his fists when his name was called for the Best Director nominees.
Best Actor – Musical or Comedy – Robert Downey Jr.
WHAT? SERIOUSLY? I did not see Sherlock Holmes but, I was stunned that he beat Daniel Day Lewis and Joseph Gordon Levitt. He made an amazing speech though. Hilarious.

Best Actress – Musical or Comedy – Meryl Streep (Julie & Julia)
I can’t wait for the Oscars to give Meryl Streep a lifetime achievement award. That is going to be the longest speech in the history of award shows and I am going to love every minute of it. This woman is a goddess.

Best Actor – Drama – Jeff Bridges
Again, he just seems like a cool guy even though that movie strikes me as being The Wrestler with a musician.

Best Actress – Drama – Sandra Bullock
I am watching The Blind Side tomorrow. I need to understand what is happening.

Best Director – James Cameron
UGH. BULLSHIT. Honestly though, what was he “directing” in this film? Telling the actors when to jump and how to pretend they’re riding a giant pterodactyl? I really liked Avatar, but not for its directing.

Best Picture – Musical or Comedy – The Hangover
At this point I’m not that surprised this won. I still think its weird that it was nominated alongside Nine just in terms of moods and themes, but, whatever.

Best Picture – Drama – Avatar
Not at all surprising but slightly disappointing. In terms of spectacle, it’s astounding and I love every minute of it, but it is not well-rounded enough with writing and plot structure to be considered the best picture of the year.

So all in all, I am reminded once again that the Golden Globes are pretty ridiculous. Thank god for Ricky Gervais.

1 comment:

  1. re: Glee win: I bet they were just excited that they could FINALLY have a musical TV show win the "Musical or Comedy" award :P

    ReplyDelete