Friday, January 8, 2010

Top 10 favorite films of 2009.

Let me preface this by saying this is not my interpretation of the BEST films of 2009, but a list of my FAVORITE films of 2009. This is based on my experience and reaction while watching the film, not necessarily the quality of the film itself.

Photobucket
10. WATCHMEN
Directed by ZACK SNYDER

Opinions on this film were pretty much split down the middle between people who had read the book and people who hadn’t, save for Roger Ebert’s glowing review with no knowledge of the book whatsoever. Having read Alan Moore’s masterpiece a few times, I loved this film. It captured the novel to a t, and overall I was extremely impressed. Somehow I managed to see this 5 times in theaters and never got tired of it.

Photobucket
9. UP
Directed by PETE DOCTOR and BOB PETERSON

Pixar really understands how to make animated movies for both children and adults. I was weeping within the first 15 minutes of Up and the last. With a story as sweetly endearing as Wall-E, if not more so, I gladly allowed myself to get pulled through this film by my heartstrings. I laughed, I cried, I cheered, all in all, a great treat.

Photobucket
8. ADVENTURELAND
Directed by GREG MOTTOLA

I was actually very surprised by how much I enjoyed this film. It was marketed as a laugh-out-loud comedy by the guy who made “Superbad” but it turned out to be a very tender and heartfelt coming-of-age story marked by some real genuine laughs. Jesse Eisenberg is essentially a more talented Michael Cera, and his awkwardness fueled how utterly relatable the entire film was.

Photobucket
7. PRECIOUS
Directed by LEE DANIELS

Probably the most powerful film of the year. I can’t really say I “enjoyed” it per se, but I recognize its importance and was deeply moved by its message and performances. That said, cinematographically it left quite a bit to be desired, which is why I did not place it higher on this list.

Photobucket
6. DISTRICT 9
Directed by NEILL BLOMKAMP

One of the year’s most pleasant surprises. I think a lot of people, myself included, expected this to be little more than a big-explosion sci-fi flick. Little did I know, I was walking into an extremely intelligent, superbly crafted allegory for apartheid. Thanks to well-designed aliens, the audience was able to relate to the creatures and truly sympathize with them, indeed, I teared up several times.

Photobucket
5. BRIGHT STAR
Directed by JANE CAMPION

One of the most tragically under-recognized films of the year. The story of John Keats and Fanny Brawne is one of history’s most beautiful and poignant, and I cannot imagine a more perfect rendering of it than this film. Abbie Cornish is radiant, and Ben Whishaw is the personification of Keats’ poetry. The dialogue is written with utmost delicacy, and the art direction is entrancing. Gorgeous.

Photobucket
4. THE HURT LOCKER
Directed by KATHRYN BIGELOW

Finally, an Iraq war film that does not preach or take a side on any level. It is simply a close-up examination of a day in the life of one of the military’s most high-risk professions: bomb diffusing. Through a captivating performance by Jeremy Renner and expert direction from Kathryn Bigelow, we learn that some men are born soldiers. Some men find a dirt road in the middle of Baghdad more homey than a local grocery store.

Photobucket
3. BROKEN EMBRACES (LOS ABRAZOS ROTOS)
Directed by PEDRO ALMODOVAR

Almodovar is one of if not my favorite film director, and this is a fine example of why. He is an expert in storytelling and manages to weave some of the most complex melodramas without an ounce of it getting lost in itself. Penelope Cruz is, in the words of Roger Ebert “a life force.” Broken Embraces is one of the most captivating and richly told narratives of film this year.

Photobucket
2. AN EDUCATION
Directed by LONE SHERFIG

I think of all the films this year, An Education spoke to me on the most personal level. I can absolutely relate to Jenny’s plight, as most young women can I believe. I recall in an interview Carey Mulligan saying that after a screening, many parents were saying they wanted their daughters to see it, and it is no mystery why. It is one of those rare films where every element clicks perfectly, making a truly enjoyable moviegoing experience.

1. (TIE)

Photobucket
INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS
Directed by QUENTIN TARANTINO

Photobucket
AVATAR
Directed by JAMES CAMERON


I selected these two as a tie for #1 because I loved them both equally, though for polar opposite reasons. Basterds I love because it brings new life to that classic style of Hollywood filmmaking, a nice homage to the past. Avatar I love because it represents the future of filmmaking, and is ushering in an entirely new way of approaching the process. Both are colossal epics, and both are supremely captivating. Basterds has the upper hand on the writing, but Avatar is a visual feast that keeps your jaw dropped from start to finish.


Stay tuned for my top 10 films and top 5 TV shows of the decade.

No comments:

Post a Comment