Tuesday, January 5, 2010

"I am in the place the eye does not see." : Avatar.

Photobucket

Pictured: Sam Worthington and Zoe Saldana

To the critics who are saying that the film Avatar suffers from a predictable plot, I ask you, was there a single person on the face of the earth who could not predict the ending of Titanic? The plot of that film is entirely unoriginal and follows the romantic epic formula to a precise t, but we love it just the same because in terms of scope, it was something we had never seen before. The same can be said of Avatar, which has a visual impact more closely resembling the premiere of Star Wars than it does Titanic, James Cameron’s last big-budget blockbuster.

The plot takes place in the year 2154 and centers around ex-marine Jake Sully (Sam Worthington), a paraplegic who is called upon to take the place of his recently deceased scientist brother Tom in a government operation based on the distant moon Pandora, at the core of which lies an extremely valuable mineral not found on Earth. In order to gain access to the mineral stores, a team of researchers helmed by Grace Augustine (Sigourney Weaver) adopts “Avatars” or hybrids of human DNA and that of the native population, the Na’vi, that are neurologically linked to the human that is controlling them.

Jake finds himself among these and soon is welcomed into the nearby native tribe, the Omatacaya, where he quickly realizes that he feels more at home in this alien jungle than in the human world. His loyalties become even more blurred when he falls in love with the Na’Vi warrior princess Neytiri (Zoe Saldana) to whom he bonds himself for life. The rest is an action-packed fight for survival coupled with the existential crisis of Jake trying to figure out where he truly belongs. Yes, it is hackneyed, but the hero’s journey is a tale few ever really get tired of seeing.

Visually, Avatar is what it is purported to be: the next step in CGI animation. Every facial expression, sound, and body movement made by one of the giant blue Na’Vi was performed by the actor, and indeed, many are championing Saldana for an acting consideration as despite the graphics, that genuinely is her performance. I certainly support that cause. It is truly unbelievable what Cameron has achieved here. Think Lord of the Rings, except instead of scouting New Zealand for locations, they simply create the desired landscape with computers. The effects used on the actors to create the graceful blue creatures are very similar to those used on Andy Serkis, but the look is much sharper and far more life-like.

Avatar is massively entertaining and genuinely well-acted (better than Titanic, if I may be so bold to say), and is without a doubt going to revolutionize the way films are made from here on out. The plot is not terribly original, but that clearly is not the point. We learn to love the environment of Pandora and its inhabitants just as much as Jake does, and indeed, I continue to find myself wishing it were a real place.

6 comments:

  1. 1. I thought Sam Worthington was super hot, especially once they'd be in the lab for a while and was all scruffy.
    2. Did you notice his accent coming through? I thought I was hearing a bit of Australian at times; turns out, he's kind of a big deal over there. And therefore even more hot.
    3. Pretty cool about Saldana doing the acting like that. Sounds like what they did with the guy for Golem in LOTR.
    4. I thought the 3-D was blurry at times, and quite distracting. Not a big fan.
    5. I wish it were real too. I also wish the whole Army goes biserk/destruction thing didn't have to take over the whole second half. That was truly a tired plot, and I found myself totally losing interest by the end. Probabaly going to have to see it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Sam Worthington is a big deal in Australia, but funnily enough not as an action star. I first saw him in a little indie Australian drama Somersault starring Abbie Cornish, and he got a lot of notoriety from that and a few awards from AFI (Australian Film Institute). He was also in a modern adaptation of Macbeth which I heard was pretty shitty but still, Shakespeare. So yeah, he's actually much more known there as an intense dramatic actor, but in the states he got lucky by having the body and looks of an action star.

    And I noticed his accent the whole time, it didn't seem like it wasn't supposed to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And maybe I didn't word this well in the review, but, all of the actors, not just Zoe Saldana, did the motion capture acting, people just think that she was the best actor so they want her to get recognized.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I figured you meant for all of them, though when they did the massive crowd holding hands thing I'm guessing they had to do that thing where they reduplicate a small section several times.

    Seriously, I don't think the accent was supposed to be there, but it was def showing through. I'm glad you noticed too haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The graphics were, yes, really awesome and really quite beautiful (though, as a sci-fi geek, was Not Impressed by the inability of Cameron/design crew to NOT make another humanoid alien species. ugh...). However, I felt that there were major problematic undertones in it that made me unable to really enjoy it (i.e. I spent most of the movie being very uncomfortable).

    A few points:

    I didn't like how they handled the message of imperialism. It's very clear that the movie is aimed at showing that imperialism is bad (which, kudos, because it is), but they show this by having the guy from the colonizing power infiltrate the Na'vi, become their leader, and liberate them from their plight. Having the colonizer being the only reason that the oppressed people are able to survive and be free seems just a little bit skeevy to me (and, since this a message about white imperialism, the fact that the "savior" is also white makes me very uncomfortable).

    Also, James Cameron being heralded as a feminist irks me a lot considering he said the following about Neytiri, "Right from the beginning I said, "She's got to have tits," even though that makes no sense because her race, the Na'vi, aren't placental mammals". I mean, woooow, Cameron's certainly not helping perpetuate female objectification and the idea that women can only be attractive if they have a certain body type. Never.

    Also, just from a personal perspective: the Jake/Neytiri romance was completely unnecessary. I just didn't find myself interested in it whatsoever and found myself eye-rolling most of the time.

    I'm sorry about the rant. I have a lot of issues with this film ): I did like the female pilot a lot! She was kickass.

    There was so much Cameron could have done with this movie to make it absolutely amazing. SO MUCH. He had an entire new alien civilization to work with! It could have been a complicated tale about the complexity of human nature! But he didn't, and it makes me sad ):

    PS: concerning a previous comment: Yes, this is Natasha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Natasha!

    You do make several very good points. I actually had never heard Cameron referred to as a "feminist" director, which is somewhat laughable. I mean, he IS responsible for the creation of Sarah Connor, who is maybe the most badass female character in movies ever, but, considering he's been married at least 4 times, I find it hard to believe that he really cares about hard-hitting women's issues.

    All of your points are completely valid although, I did have a soft spot for the Jake/Neytiri thing mainly because a. I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff and b. I felt it assisted the plot in giving Jake more reason to want to help the Na'vi. Which also brings me to the issue of the alien species being humanoid, the entire reason for which was so that it would be plausible that a human man would find her attractive. But that "tits" comment is unfortunate, and speaks to my earlier belief that Cameron is something a bit less than a gentleman. I hope his ex-wife (Kathryn Bigelow) gets the Oscar over him.

    ReplyDelete